In this article, we’ll show you how to renew your driver’s license in a step-by-step manner, as well as the costs involved and everything else you need to know.
In 1988, the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) was commissioned and established to safeguard the safety of all drivers and motorist for the purpose of accident prevention in the country. We have the Federal Road Safety Corp in Nigeria, which enforces the commission’s policy, under the Federal Road Safety Commission act.
The government began issuing driver’s licenses to all car/vehicle owners and drivers who applied in person, after which the license became considerably important and necessary. It is a legal document (driver’s license) that will be produced by the state and is mandated that every driver that plies the roads in the country must possess.
We all know that driver’s licenses aren’t only used in Nigeria. All over the world, nations issue their own driver’s licenses, which allow visitors, citizens, and non-citizens to drive on their roads legally.
With your valid driver’s license, you can drive anywhere in Nigeria without fear of being harassed by the Road Safety Corp.
In 2012, the Federal Road Safety Commission created a type of driver’s license that forces drivers to go through medical tests and obtain certification as a commercial truck driver before being given permission to operate.
One thing to note is that after three years, your driver’s license expires and becomes invalid, at which time you’ll need to renew it. This post will show you how to renew your driver’s license this 2022 easily. However, in 2016, the driver’s license was extended to two years from its previous limit of three years, as mandated by the federal government.
It is essential for new applicants to the Nigerian driver’s license that they be at least 18 years old and have undergone driving instruction in a reputable/registered driving school before being certified. It is an important requirement for you to obtain a driver’s license in Nigeria. The government, through the FRSC have made drivers license renewal and registration simple, allowing you to do it online.
RENEWING YOUR DRIVERS LICENSE: STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE (2022)
- Visit the FRSC renewal portal’s official website, https://nigeriadriverslicence.frsc.gov.ng.
- Click the “Drivers License Renewal” button and a form will appear, on which you will be prompted to provide your date of birth and your previous utilized and expired drivers license number. After you have correctly completed the form, you will be able to access and complete the whole application.
- Ensure you pay for the license using an online payment system or any bank identified to you.
- After you’ve paid, make a copy of your receipts and submit the application form with them to the drivers license center (DLC or VIO for endorsement).
- Then you can visit the Federal Road Safety Corps Office for Biometric Data Capturing to have your information and biometrics recorded.
- You will be given a 60-day temporary driver’s license before you would be sent an SMS when the permanent one is ready for collection.
COST OF RENEWING DRIVERS LICENCE (2022)
The cost of your driver’s license renewal is supposedly ₦12,000 per year for a three-year period or ₦15,000 per year for a five-year term. Previously, the fees were ₦6,350 and ₦10,450 each for three and five years. You might end up paying ₦35,000 to speed up the process.